Greenwich Hospital in 1820
Greenwich Hospital was completed in 1694 to designs by Christopher Wren and Nicholas Hawksmoor and functioned as a hospital for sailors until 1873. The distinctive split design was adopted to allow the already existing Queen's House (designed by Inigo Jones and built c1615-35, making it the earliest Palladian building in England) to keep its view of the Thames. It can just be made out to the right of the left hand tower. The Greenwich Observatory can be seen on the hill behind. This was built to designs by Christopher Wren in 1675/6 and was the first purpose built facility for scientific research in England.
The viewpoint is on the Isle of Dogs, on the north bank of the Thames, looking over the water due south.
Woolwich in 1821
Military Academy, an elegant and commodious structure, situate at the
south-east corner of Woolwich Common, affords accommodation to about one
hundred and thirty young gentlemen, the sons of military men, and the more
respectable classes, who are here instructed in mathematics,
land-surveying, with mapping, fortification, engineering, the use of the
musket and sword exercise, and field-pieces; and for whose use twelve
brass cannon, three-pounders, are placed in front of the building,
practising with which they acquire a knowledge of their application in the
field of battle. This department is under the direction of a
lieutenant-general, an instructer, a professor of mathematics, and a
professor of fortification; in addition to which there are French, German,
and drawing masters.'
Mogg's New Picture of London and Visitor's Guide to its Sights. 1844
The Academy was set up in 1741 with the object of producing (according to its charter) 'good officers of Artillery and perfect Engineers'.
'In the south-west part of Woolwich Common, to the left of the road leading to Shooter's Hill and Eltham, is the Royal Military Academy, established by George II "for instructing persons belonging to the military portion of the ordnance in the several branches of mathematics, fortification, etc., proper to qualifying them for the service of artillery and the office of engineer". The Academy, as a matter of fact, was founded in 1719, but it hung fire until 1745, and in 1745 it was transferred from within the Arsenal to the present site. Sir J. Wyatt designed the building.'
One of its most eminent instructors was Professor Michael Faraday who taught chemistry from 1829 to 1858.
The view is looking due south with the Thames behind.
go to index of engraved views
copyright © Adnax Publications, all rights reserved